How you can check in
We've lined up loads of ways for you to check in for your flight.
Whether you're on the move, at the terminal or even still at your hotel, it's easy to check in for your flight with us.
Check in anywhere via our mobile-friendly site.You can also reserve seats, manage your booking, check Flight Status and schedules and keep tabs on your Flying Club account. The service includes:
- Mobile check-in available between 24 hours and 2 hours before departure. Includes seat map and seat selection. Then just print out your boarding pass at the airport from a self service kiosk or bag drop. You could also print one out from a PC or request a fax copy if you prefer.
- A list of flights open for check-in
- Flight status/flight tracking
- Flight schedules
- Enrolling into Flying Club
- Checking your Flying Club account details
Our mobile services work on any modern, internet-capable mobile device, including Blackberries, iPhones, Android phones, Nokia & Microsoft smartphones etc.You can also go from the mobile site to the full site easily if you prefer to, for example if you're on a large screen mobile device like a tablet.
UK registered mobile? To save you typing the address in, you can also send a text message of M, MOB, or MOBILE (case insensitive) to shortcode 88787, which will cost you your normal text message tariff as charged by your phone provider. You'll then be sent the mobile URL as a text message which you can then click on to start it up in your phone browser.
The best way to check in is online where you can pick your seat and print your boarding card. Just go to Manage your flights. If you’re travelling with carry on baggage only, you can print off your own boarding pass and we’ll see you at the gate.
You can now check in online and download a boarding pass via email or SMS onto your mobile device.
It works exactly as a boarding pass printed on paper – just present it at bag drop, security and when boarding the aircraft. If you are travelling with hand baggage only, you can head for security and then directly to your gate.
All you have to do is check in online through our desktop or mobile website and choose to download the boarding pass to your mobile phone or device. You can also then add your Virgin Atlantic boarding pass to Passbook if you use an iPhone.
To help to make the check in experience as fast, easy and stress free as possible we have introduced Self Service Check In Kiosks at all of our UK airport locations and selected airport locations in the US.
- London Heathrow (LHR) - 29 kiosks located in Zone A, open 0520-2200.
- London Gatwick (LGW) - 10 kiosks that we share with other airlines located at the entrance to Zone A, open 0530-1030.
- Manchester (MAN) - 12 kiosks located at the entrance to Terminal 2, open 0600-0930.
- New York (EWR) - 3 kiosks located at the entrance to Terminal B opposite our check in desks, open 0430-0700 and 1715-2005.
- San Francisco (SFO) - 4 kiosks located at check in zone 10, open 1230-1145. 2 kiosks located at the Airport BART Station exit, open 1100-1455.
- Las Vegas (LAS)* - NEW! - 8 Kiosks in 4 locations:
- Luxor Hotel - 0700-1400
- Venetian Hotel - 0700-1400
- McCarran Rent-A-Car Centre - 0600-1500
- Las Vegas Convention Centre ( Only available when a convention is running)
*Las Vegas Kiosk Check In is run in conjunction with McCarran Airport and 'Bags To Go'. It will be just like checking in for a flight at the airport, but without the airport! So you can have more time to try and win your fortune, relax by the pool or even get married! There is a $20 charge for every two bags checked in.
Our Self Service Check In Kiosks are easy to use:
- Arrive at the Airport at least 2.5 hours before your flight to allow plenty of time to get through security and enjoy the airport facilities.
- Use your passport to start your kiosk check in.
- Check in up to 9 people in one go.
- Review or change your seat.
- Add or amend your frequent flyer details.
- Print your boarding documents.
Once you have completed Kiosk Check In go to the bag drop if you have bags to check in and then head to departures. If you Check in on the kiosk and have hand luggage only you can go directly to departures and by-pass the Bag Drop altogether.
If you have checked in Online but were not able to print off your boarding card, you can now print this at a kiosk or have it printed for you at the Bag Drop!
You can grab some extra sleep before an early flight thanks to our Twilight check in service. Available at Gatwick between 5pm and 9pm the day before you fly. Please note that everyone in your party will need to be present with their documentation for this option.
Then turn up 50 minutes before boarding the next day with your boarding pass. It's that easy.
Squeeze every last minute of fun from your Disney World trip by checking in from the park. The kids will thank you for it.
Check In is open 8.15am to 1pm, seven days a week. It's free to Upper Class and Flying Club Gold passengers. There's a $10 charge per bag for all other customers.
If you're getting the AEL to the airport, you can check in at Hong Kong or Kowloon stations, until 90 minutes before take off. They are open from 0600 - midnight daily. You can check in on the day, up until 90 minutes before departure.