Baggage Allowance Outbound Flight
Check in Baggage allowance
You'll find out weight limits for checked in luggage below.
Always make sure your luggage is labelled. If you are a Flying Club Gold member, you can get an extra piece of baggage free on Virgin Atlantic operated flights. You can bring one piece of sports equipment (opens in a new window) onto your Virgin Atlantic flight at no extra charge, in addition to your free baggage allowance. For any extra bags, you will be charged as per the table above. If it is overweight, you will accrue charges for both an extra bag and overweight bag.
If you need more information, visit our Check in baggage (opens in a new window) section.
Some items cannot be brought into the cabin but are permitted in your check in baggage, while others are barred from any kind of baggage at all. For full details visit our Dangerous articles (opens in a new window) section.
Extra Baggage allowance
If you'd like to bring extra luggage over and above your free baggage allowance, you can pay to check in up to 10 extra bags per person (weight up to 23kg each).
The best way to increase your allowance is before you fly - you can buy your additional baggage allowance online and avoid higher charges at the airport. Just head over to Manage your Booking if you'd like to buy additional baggage. Excess baggage charges are as follows:
Extra baggage charges
||At the airport
|1st extra bag
||GBP 55/USD 85
|GBP 65/USD 100
|2nd extra and subsequent bags
||GBP 120/USD 170
|GBP 140/USD 200
|Overweight bags (23 - 32Kg)
||GBP 40/USD 60
||GBP 40/USD 60
For passengers departing India, an additional 4.944% tax will be payable on excess baggage charges.
There are a few extra things to take note of if you're planning on exceeding your standard baggage allowance:
- Charges for additional luggage are payable each way.
- The British Pound (GBP) charges quoted above apply to all departures from the UK. For US departures, the US Dollar (USD) charge will be applied. For Canada departures, the Canadian Dollar (CAD) charge will be applied. For departures elsewhere, the US Dollar charge will be converted to the local currency.
- Any bags weighing over 32kg will not be accepted.
- Sports Equipment - You can bring one piece of sports equipment onto your Virgin Atlantic flight at no extra charge, in addition to your free baggage allowance. For any extra bags, you will be charged as per the table above. If it is overweight, you will accrue charges both for an extra bag and an overweight bag.
- If a bag is overweight and also oversize, then both the charges shown above will apply.
- Extra baggage cannot be purchased for infants.
- Extra baggage must be purchased at the airport if you have a connecting flight operated by a different airline.
- You'll need to purchase your extra baggage at the airport if you have a connecting flight operated by a different airline.
- Any excess baggage purchased is non-refundable and non-transferable.
If you want to take more than 10 bags with you on your trip, you should contact our friends at Virgin Atlantic Cargo (opens in a new window) – they’ll be happy to help.
If your trip involves a transfer from another airline they may also charge an extra baggage fee if your checked in bags exceed their limit. More on extra baggage charges for non Virgin operated flights (opens in a new window).