Reward seat top tips
Don't forget, when the time comes to book your reward seat, there are a couple of things to remember to make your booking process as smooth as possible.
- It's easier to redeem your miles online than over the phone. You can spend miles for the most up to date reward seat availability online 24 hours a day, and our website has the most up to date offers available, up to 336 days in advance, right up until the day of departure.
- You can search for reward seats online, for both return fares or one ways. If the exact dates you request are not available, then we'll show you anything else that is available for that month, or even the month after. If a reward seat isn't available on a certain date, all reward seats may already have been booked at this time, or further seats could be allocated closer to departure.
- When your first choice of flight or cabin isn't available, think about alternatives dates, routes or cabin classes. Seats may be limited at times, and in some circumstances unavailable on certain flights, such as on public holidays or during school holidays.
- Availability can also vary based on the day of the week, while on our most popular routes and those with smaller cabin capacity in Upper Class, seats may also be further restricted. See how many miles you'll need for all our different destinations in each cabin with our spending miles table.
- You can even search right up until the date of departure. Reward seats often become available nearer to departure, so keep checking if you're preferred flight isn't available the first time you search. Alternatively, have a shortlist of preferred destinations in mind when you start your search and focus on off peak times when possible.
- Check availability in alternative cabins. Try booking in Economy then upgrading closer to departure. (You can always upgrade to a different cabin nearer the time if available).
- Virgin Vouchers. Miles can be redeemed for Virgin vouchers. Use 12,500 miles and you can save £50 off your next Virgin Atlantic flight.
- Miles Plus Money. A benefit of Flying Club is that you can access exclusive reduced fares to great Virgin Atlantic destinations, by combining miles and money. Try Miles Plus Money for a reduced fare if you can’t get availability on the reward seat you want.
- Try booking an alternative route (For example, try Los Angeles if you want to go to San Francisco; try Miami instead of Orlando; try JFK instead of Newark, try Johannesburg instead of Cape Town).
- Book with our partner airlines. Many of the Virgin Atlantic destinations can be reached with our partner airlines.
- Going to Australia? You can travel with Virgin Atlantic to Los Angeles and connect with Virgin Australia to Australia.
- Get the best out of your booking process with a few key things. Make sure you have your Flying Club membership number on hand.
- You’ll also need sufficient miles for your reward seat booking, and details to make payment of all applicable taxes, fees and surcharges. Check how many miles you’ll need for your trip with our spending miles calculator.