We hope that you enjoy using our website, safe in the knowledge that we are committed to protecting your privacy and security online.
Worried about providing us with information online? Let us put your mind at rest. Find out more about:
Virgin Atlantic is based on a partnership with our customers and this extends to the way we handle your personal information. We make a point of working with our customers when it comes to their information privacy.
Here at Virgin Atlantic Airways Limited ("Virgin Atlantic"/"we"/"us") we are committed to protecting your privacy online as securely as we would our passenger information in our reservations and customer loyalty systems. You have control over the information we store about you and what types of information (if any) you would like to receive from us.
We may collect information about you from a variety of sources, including information we collect from you directly; information we collect about you when you visit our site, use our services or contact us; and information we collect about you from other sources.
Information we collect directly from you:
- When making a flight booking we ask you for your name; contact details such as phone and e-mail; loyalty programme details (if applicable); credit card details, your meal preference and occasionally information pertaining to your health
- When making a flight booking we will ask for your name, date of birth and gender for the purpose of Secure Flight. Further information about Secure Flight and the Redress Policy.
- When managing your bookings, we provide you with the online facility to review and make certain amendments to your bookings including providing us with additional information
- When checking in online we ask you for name; date of birth; gender; contact details such as phone and email and frequent flyer details (if applicable).
- If you are flying on a route requiring an Advanced Passenger Information form, we also collect your passport number; the country your passport was issued in and the expiry date.
- When joining or using our Flying Club loyalty programme, we ask you for your name; contact details such as email and phone numbers; address and date of birth.
- When joining or using our Flying Co corporate loyalty programme, we ask you for your name; name of a secondary contact; names and membership numbers of existing Flying Club members, and names of new Flying Club members to be linked to the Flying Co account; contact details such as email and phone numbers; company name and address; country.
- Virgin Atlantic Airways invites you to conduct an online text chat with one of our agents to help you complete your booking. By using this service you agree to the information you provide being shared with a carefully selected third party who manages this process on our behalf.
- Telephone calls made to and from our Contact Centres may be recorded and monitored for the purpose of quality assurance, training, security and for business purposes.
Information we collect from other sources
In order to keep our customers information up to date as much as possible and the offers we make as relevant as possible, we may supplement it with information from other sources. This may include information such as home movers, interests and geographic profiles.
To provide the services you want
We may use information we collect about you to provide the services you request and to manage our site and records as well as to help us improve these services to you.
So that we can keep you informed of important administrative or service messages, we need to use your information to contact you, even where you have told us you do not wish to receive direct marketing.
The following are examples of how we may use your information:
- When we process an airline ticket for you
- So that we are able to contact you, if we need more information or if there are any changes to our flights
- In order to update and/or amend your flight as requested and contact you if we need more information
- So that we can retrieve your booking for you and to check you in online
- To better manage your travel experience
- To help us service any post-flight queries
- To help us develop technology to better serve you in the future
- When you travel on a route requiring an Advanced Passenger Information form, we collect this additional information to comply with requirements for passenger entry to our destinations. This information will only be used for the specified purpose and it will not be given to any third party, except to the extent and for the purpose we may be required to do so by any law or for the fulfilment of this contract between us
- So that we may send eligible passengers Flying Club communications, including a welcome pack
- So that we may send eligible companies Flying Co programme communications, including a welcome pack
- When using live chat to assist you
And, if you give us sensitive personal Information, you are giving your explicit consent for Virgin Atlantic to collect, process, disclose or transfer, and store it so we can fulfil your requirements or for safety reasons (e.g. using your dietary requirement Information for the specific purpose of providing you with a suitable in-flight meal).
Your sensitive personal information will not be disclosed to any third-parties (except to the extent and the purpose that Virgin Atlantic Airways may be required to do so by any law, legislation, enactment, safety reason, or for the fulfilment of this contract between us in order to satisfy your requirements, and to ensure that the disclosure is safe).
We would like to be able to share with you information about other products and services, special offers, exclusive fares and other news, so that you can take advantage of the best we can offer. Of course, we will only use your information in this way where you have given us the OK to do so.
- Where you have given us your consent Virgin Atlantic would like to keep in touch with you by post, phone and electronic mail with account updates, news, special offers and promotions.
- Where you have given us your consent other Virgin companies and our partners may also like to get in touch by post, phone and electronic mail about products and services which they think will interest you.
- We may disclose your information to third parties, like data processing companies, who may provide marketing services on our behalf. You will not be directly contacted by third parties as a result of giving us your details.
- We will use the most recent consent you have given us, or the most specific consent, subject to the time it takes us to reflect these changes in our systems and/or processes.
- We will try to ensure that customers do not receive duplicate communications even if you have given your consent to marketing to more than one Virgin company.
- You may opt-out of direct marketing by us at any time by contacting us. You may also opt-out of any direct marketing by any other Virgin company by contacting them directly.
- If you change your mind about your marketing preferences at any time, simply navigate to www.virgin-atlantic.com/flyingclub, log into your account and change your personal details, or contact your local Flying Club office.
This information we hold on you will not be given to any third party, except to the extent and for the purpose we may be required to do so by any law or for the fulfilment of this contract between us, or if 'We' are sold to another company.
We disclose information to:
Third party/service providers
We may occasionally use third party companies to manage collation, processing and storage of your personal information and sensitive personal information on our behalf. These companies are carefully selected and screened to ensure maximum protection of your security and privacy and are permitted to use the Information only in accordance with our instructions.
Transferring information to border control agencies
Please note that Virgin Atlantic and all other airlines are now required by law to give US Customs and other border control agencies access to certain passenger information. Accordingly, any such Advance Passenger Information - including sensitive personal information - that Virgin Atlantic holds about you and your travel arrangements may be disclosed to those agencies in the countries to which you are travelling. You understand and accept that if your information is disclosed to third parties outside the European Economic Area (the European Union plus, Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein), those third parties may reside in territories which may not have suitable data protection provisions in place, but every effort will be made to ensure that your information is processed only for the purpose set out above, and for no other purposes.
Travel between the European Union and the United States
Certain travel and reservation information is transferred between the European Union and the United States in order to help US authorities prevent and combat terrorism and other serious transnational crimes.
Your Information Security
We are committed to keeping personal information secure. We have appropriate technical, administrative and physical procedures in place to protect personal information from loss, misuse or alteration, and ensure it is only accessible by those who have a business need.
What credit cards do we accept?
For online booking we accept most major credit and debit cards including Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Diners Club & JCB.
Is your credit card number secure online?
We use the latest SSL (Secure Socket Layer) technology, which ensures that any communications between your computer and ourselves is unreadable by anyone else. Your details are communicated in a secure encrypted format and we can check that the information has not been tampered with in any way.
Most browsers have some type of indicator to let you know if you have established a secure connection. If you are not sure, then consult the help section of your browser. If your browser does not support SSL technology then we recommend that you update to the latest version. Virgin Atlantic also uses 3D Secure which is a new technical standard developed by Visa and MasterCard which aims to further secure 'Card Not Present' (CNP) transactions over the Internet. This is the payment industry's internet authentication standard which has been developed by the major card schemes. Visa has called their version of the scheme 'Verified by Visa' and MasterCard have called their equivalent initiative 'MasterCard SecureCode'. These are both collectively referred to as 3D Secure which is the on-line equivalent of 'chip and pin'.
Links to other Websites and their security and privacy policies
In our website we also provide links to other websites for your convenience and information. Please be aware that these sites may have different security & privacy policies and we have no control over and take no responsibility for any information submitted to these sites
How to change your Personal Information
At any time you can choose to change your personal details, withdraw from our Flying Club or Flying Co loyalty programme, or subscribe to receive news and special offers from Virgin Atlantic.
a) If you have made an online booking
If after purchasing a flexible ticket online, you wish to request changes to your flight details, you can do this by contacting us.
b) If you have joined our loyalty programme Flying Club or Flying Co
To change your Flying Club details and preferences simply navigate to www.virginatlantic.com/flyingclub, log into your account and change your personal details online. To cancel your membership telephone the Flying Club helpline telephone number.
To change your Flying Co details simply navigate to www.virginatlantic.com/flyingco log into your account and change your company details online. To cancel your membership, please call the Flying Co helpline telephone number.
c) If you have subscribed to receive news and special offers from Virgin Atlantic
A link will appear at the bottom of each email sent to you which will enable you to unsubscribe from receiving this information.
If you wish to receive a copy of the information we hold about you
You are entitled to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you. Simply submit a request by printing off, completing and sending in the form within the following link.
If you require Proof of Travel
We are happy to provide Proof of Travel letters as requested and without charge. Simply submit a signed written request as per the instructions available on the following link: